Friday 7 May 2010

Stagecoach

I don’t watch Westerns often nor do I like them all that much. But Stagecoach was worth sitting down for! The editing was very swift especially during the chase scenes and I found myself really rooting for both sides at the same time! I found certain parts really moving such as when Mrs. Mallory prays in the coach and does not even look at Hatfeild when he points the gun at her, to spare her an undignified death from the Indians.

The ending is full of tension which I have never seen in films before. The silence is overbearing and I felt as if in the room myself and if I was I could have heard a pin drop. Even then there is some humour – who walks in to their pub to find himself looking down 5 barrels! The time is taken to build up the tension over ‘real’ time instead of just cutting to the shoot out, which is what would happen today. I appreciated this and it made me feel that there was more depth to the ending than to be expected from a Western. Ringo is aliiiiiive! - The way they don't actually show the shoot out is much more exciting and you find yourself feeling what Dallas is -is he dead?

I enjoyed Stagecoach but I did wish It was in colour because I felt restricted in terms of being able to immerse myself into the story. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment