Tuesday 2 March 2010

do it big, do it right and give it class

That was MGM's motto and boy, did they do that!

The scene taken from The Great Ziegfeld was sensational - so many girls, so many men, so much material sparking and glittering, EVERYTHING was over the top and dazzling! I literally watched 'A Pretty Girl is Like A Melody' with my mouth open and I loved Dennis Morgan's voice.

Fred Astaire is amazing, period. Astaire made a hat stand looked good and I dread to think how many hours he spent just practising - his talent just pops off the screen.

Anchors Aweigh is so cute! Gene and a mouse! It's interesting though, that the "symbol of MGM musicals" - Gene Kelly in Singing In the Rain - his dancing is relatively simple compared to the other scenes I've seen in all these films. But I think it's the precision that sticks in people's minds and for me as a child I just loved he didn't mind getting wet.

The amount of swimming Esther Williams did was RIDICULOUS. I Laughed so much when she swam through the water and there were about 10 other girls sitting there smiling like anything obviously desperate to breathe!

The voice which impressed me the most though was Mario Lanza in The Toast of New Orleans with Kathryn Grayson.

All that talent with MGM is so so so much better than 75% of the talent on our screens now - or is it just that they are talented in a different way?

No comments:

Post a Comment