Monday 22 February 2010

the box and me...

Wow. That is the word which instantly comes to mind when thinking about our black flatscreens!

I've learned a lot about television so far - whereas I always appreciated the enormous impact it has on us as a society and as individuals - I never had paid enough attention to how riveting and actually how clever soaps are and why they are this way. For example Corrie has a huge part of our nation glued to it even though it is only 22 minutes long!

Personal taste no longer clouds my judgement as much and I'm learning so much more about what different types of programmes can do, both old and new.

I really was surprised by the craftmanship of I Love Lucy. The humour can still be appreciated now and I loved seeing where it all started....the sketches nowadays remind me of I Love Lucy and also it showed me it doesn't matter how long ago it was as long as the jokes are kept simple it'll prove to be timeless.

The Street really really impressed me. It literally put my faith back into television and it showed me so clearly the genius of a being a showrunner. The results were very clear and in my opinion much better quality. The episode we watched moved me greatly and although it was an emotionally dark and heavy piece I liked the style. Each part (lighting, cinematography, acting) was handled with care and time thus creating a one off quality piece of drama. Nothing was cut back on or compromised which I noticed and that is what I'd like to see so much more of.

That said, there is far too much rubbish on the box! Mindless, gormless programmes are churned out and they stay on bobbing about like annoying driftwood even though the fish check it out sometimes, really aren't interested. But hey, that's what we're here for isn't it - to put and create quality tv that makes people sit up and scratch their heads - why didn't they think or see that before?

Overall I've sat up and noticed more myself about the thing that sits in our living rooms and almost every other room, quite innocously, until you switch it on! All those channels, all that potential. Really want to see TV grow and take the nation back by storm...

No comments:

Post a Comment